Rhinoplasty Surgery in New Jersey
The nose has a strong impact on the natural beauty the face, affecting its overall character and proportions. If you are concerned about the size or shape of your nose and would like it to be more in harmony with the rest of your facial features, rhinoplasty surgery might be the right thing for you.
Patients who have undergone rhinoplasty – more commonly known as “nose jobs” – report a high satisfaction rate following the procedure. A recent review published in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal states that of 2,326 patients interviewed, 83.6% were happy with the results.
You may wish to undergo nose surgery to address an aesthetic concern, a breathing problem, or an issue that developed following an accident. Whatever the reason, rhinoplasty can:
- reduce or increase the overall size of your nose
- change the shape of the tip
- modify the contour of the bridge by correcting a bump or depression
- narrow the space between your nostrils
- alter the shape of your nostrils
- make your nose more symmetric
- change the angle between your nose and upper lip
- correct a birth defect or injury
- help relieve breathing difficulties
Why you should get your nose surgery at The Breslow Center
Rhinoplasty is the one of the oldest cosmetic surgery procedures in recorded history. The first rhinoplasty was performed in ancient India back in the 6th century B.C., and it was routinely performed in ancient Egypt as well. Today, it has become one of the most requested procedures in North America and is offered by hundreds of surgeons across the country.
However, only The Breslow Center features these unique qualities, better ensuring that you’ll get the exceptional, natural looking results that you’re looking for:
The Breslow Center’s surgeons have extensive experience in treating nasal obstructions
While many patients get rhinoplasty for aesthetic reasons, your primary purpose of undergoing the procedure may be to correct breathing difficulties. Dr. Breslow and Dr. Farkas both have the expertise to treat nasal obstructions caused by issues such as:
- chronic sinusitis
- deviated septum
- turbinate hypertrophy
- collapse of the nasal valve following a previous rhinoplasty or trauma
You’ll join a growing number of highly satisfied patients
Our board-certified plastic surgeons have decades of combined experience performing cosmetic procedures. They have performed hundreds of successful rhinoplasties, and continue to refine their surgical techniques by remaining up-to-date with the latest developments in the field. Dr. Farkas has even published a number of studies in rhinoplasty as part of his dedication to providing you with the safest and most effective techniques.
And because successful rhinoplasty results rely on precision, our surgeons always take the time to discuss your expectations thoroughly to determine the most suitable technique for you. Our experience, commitment to surpassing expectations, and surgical mastery are some of the reasons why our patients are so pleased with their results. In fact, a large number of our new patients are referred to us by friends and family who’ve undergone the same procedure!
Nose surgery can have a subtle, yet definite impact on your facial features’ balance and harmony. As our patients have often told us, rhinoplasty helped them look like themselves – only better!
You’ll be attended to by a highly trained and caring staff
One of our greatest assets at The Breslow Center is our wonderful staff. We employ a Certified Medical Assistant, a Certified Aesthetic Nurse Specialist, a Certified Physician Assistant, Licensed Medical Aestheticians, and extensively experienced and friendly support staff who are all dedicated to providing you with the attention you deserve. Each member of our team has an extensive background in their chosen area, with more than four decades of cosmetic and medical experience combined.
Going through any medical procedure can be a stressful experience. Our staff go above and beyond for you, working hard to make sure you’re as comfortable as possible. We’ll answer virtually any question or concern that may arise, and go out of our way to make sure you are feeling relaxed, positive, and enthusiastic about your results!
We do all this because we know that from a medical point of view, a positive mindset can help speed up your recovery. According to a study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, the better your expectations are from surgery, the faster your recovery will be – and part of this is to make your experience with us a positive one!
You’ll undergo your surgery right in our building
Our private surgical facility, The Saddle River Valley Surgical Center, is conveniently located in the same building as The Breslow Center. You’ll never have to go anywhere else for your appointments before, during, or after your surgery. Our state-of-the-art facility fulfills such high standards that most of our patients find it more comfortable than their local hospital.
The Saddle River Valley Surgical Center is fully accredited and licensed by the state of New Jersey, Medicare certified, recognized by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), and staffed by a dedicated team of highly trained medical professionals.
Preparing for your rhinoplasty surgery
Well before you set foot in the operating room, your rhinoplasty journey will begin with a private, personalized consultation with Dr. Breslow or Dr. Farkas. During this consultation and assessment, you’ll discuss your goals and exactly how you would like your nose to look in relation with the rest of your facial features. Using our Vectra 3D technology, you’ll also be able to visualize the results from multiple angles.
This thorough preparation will allow us to create an individualized plan in order to achieve the improvements you desire. Our surgeons never follow a cookie-cutter approach, because every patient is unique. For this reason, great care is taken during the consultation and pre-surgical planning process.
Choosing between an open or closed rhinoplasty
Dr. Breslow and Dr. Farkas are both skilled at performing “open” and “closed” rhinoplasty procedures. Either one of these approaches may be the better option for you, depending on your specific needs and facial morphology.
- Open: The open approach, also called an external rhinoplasty, is performed by cutting a small incision across the underside of the nose, connecting the nostrils. This small cut, called a trans-columellar incision, makes it possible to fold the nose skin back and gives your surgeon an unconstrued view of the skeletal and cartilage structure underneath. This results in a small, virtually invisible scar of about 4-5 mm in length on the underside of the nose.
- Closed: The closed approach, called an endonasal rhinoplasty, is very different from the open technique. In this case, all the incisions are made inside the nostrils. While the approach requires a few parallel incisions encircling almost half of the nostril lining, because of their location they can’t be seen at all. This style has no visible scarring, but repositioning the skin at the end of the procedure is more difficult because the stretching needed to get to the skeletal and cartilage framework distorts the nasal cartilage. It can also make it more difficult for some surgeons to see what they’re doing. However, experienced surgeons like Dr. Breslow and Dr. Farkas do not find this to be an issue.
Your rhinoplasty surgery, step by step
Regardless of which approach to rhinoplasty you and Dr. Breslow or Dr. Farkas decide is best, the broad strokes of the procedure remain the same. The skin of your nose will be separated from the bone and cartilage framework beneath. That framework will then be sculpted into the desired shape and size. The skin will then be replaced over the newly shaped framework, and a lightweight splint put in place to maintain the new shape of your nose as it heals.
The most basic rhinoplasties are usually done in approximately two hours. Some more complicated procedures may take a little longer, but it’s very rare that any rhinoplasty be performed in over three hours. The Breslow Center does rhinoplasty as an outpatient procedure, so you’ll be able to go home the very same day.
Your rhinoplasty recovery: quick facts
- External splint, doyle splints (which are internal), and sutures are removed a day or two after surgery if necessary.
- 1 week off from work.
- No driving for 1 week.
- Most bruising fades by the second week.
- Any congestion and difficulty in breathing through the nose gradually goes away after several weeks.
- Bones can take 4 weeks to heal, during which you should be extra careful not to touch or rub your nose excessively.
- Most swelling will go down after 6-8 weeks, with some remaining for up to 1-1.5 years.
- If you have an open rhinoplasty, the only visible scar will be along the columella (the underside of the nose), with all the rest inside, and a slight chance of one hidden in the outer curve of the nostril.
- There is usually very little pain associated with rhinoplasty recovery. If you do feel pain, it will usually come in the form of an easily controlled headache. That being said, many patients have said that recovery can be compared to the sinus pressure of a bad cold.
Ten tips for a smooth rhinoplasty recovery
- Sleep in a beach chair, or at least with your head elevated for the first week, and on your back for the next six months. This helps to reduce swelling.
- Avoid bumping your nose for the first 2 to 4 weeks. Watch out for pets and small children! You should also stay away from working out or straining yourself for the first 2 weeks.
- Stick to a low salt diet. This should start the day before your surgery, and helps minimize the fluid stored in your nose while it heals.
- Eat only soft foods for the first week or two. Chewing may be uncomfortable.
- Don’t wear glasses for the first 4 weeks after your rhinoplasty. If you need to wear them try using some sort of cushion or foam between the glasses and your nose. You might even try taping your glasses to your forehead. It seems silly, but wearing your glasses normally can disrupt the healing process.
- Make sure to wear a hat and sunscreen whenever you go out for several months after your surgery. This helps with healing, and prevents too much swelling.
- Take care when blowing your nose for the first few weeks.
- There usually isn’t too much pain or discomfort associated with rhinoplasty recovery, but if you do start feeling some pain, stay on top of your medication schedule. If you let the pain build too much it can be hard to get it under control again.
- Don’t be ashamed to nap! Sleeping helps the healing process, so if you’re feeling tired, take advantage of the down time. Just make sure to keep your head elevated while doing so.
- Try to remember that the swelling can take up to a year and a half to completely fade. What you see in the mirror during the first few weeks and months is not what the result will look like once you’re done healing, so don’t fret!
We’ll be with you throughout your recovery
Another reason that so many of our patients come out of their procedures so happy and satisfied with the results is the attention The Breslow Center puts into their recovery. We are proud to be with you every step of the way through your healing process, from removing the bandages to your final, full results!
Your first follow-up appointment will be just a day or two after your surgery. This appointment will be with a nurse or PA, and will mostly be to check on the results. Your second follow-up will be one week after your surgery, and will be with your surgeon. At this point the splint and sutures will be removed, and most of the swelling should have gone down. Follow-ups to check on your progress and recovery will then be scheduled for 1 month after the procedure, 3 months after, 6 months after, and finally after 1 year, all with your surgeon.
It can take well over a year to fully heal from rhinoplasty, so if you are still concerned with your recovery or have any questions or concerns at all, you’re more than welcome to schedule additional follow-ups. Our first concern is your peace of mind.
Rhinoplasty Before & After Pictures
Actual patients of The Breslow Center. Click here to see more.
Your new look
Our rhinoplasty patients love their new faces, and so will you! You can look forward to a more picturesque you, improved confidence, or simply being able to finally breath freely. No matter your original reason for having a rhinoplasty, you’ll feel like a new you!
Don’t wait another day to find your perfect face. Call (201) 444-9522 now to book your private rhinoplasty consultation with Dr. Breslow or Dr. Farkas.