Tummy Tuck Surgery in New Jersey
A tummy tuck consistently gets high marks for helping flatten and firm up the mid-section. Dr. Breslow and Dr. Farkas have performed hundreds of procedures at our private surgical center in Paramus, NJ, exceeding our patients’ expectations.
Exercise and diet can only do so much when it comes to ridding your midsection of excess fat and loose skin. Your body is programmed to store fat in certain areas, and your stomach is one of them. Weakened skin elasticity and postpartum abdominal muscle separation make the issue even harder to deal with. Chances are that you’ve tried dieting and exercise, only to find that even with the strictest self-discipline, you weren’t seeing the results you hoped for… enter the tummy tuck.
A tummy tuck, medically referred to as abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure for the stomach that:
- Eliminates unwanted fat for a flatter, firmer stomach
- Gives you a more cinched waist
- Tightens loose skin so that it no longer sags or looks crepey
- Fixes separated ab muscles so your stomach doesn’t bulge out
- Improves the appearance of stretch marks for a better complexion
- Reshapes your belly button for a more youthful appearance
Why you should get your tummy tuck at The Breslow Center
There are several surgeons out there who perform tummy tucks, but only The Breslow Center For Plastic Surgery can offer you these unique advantages:
1. You’ll benefit from almost 20 years of collective experience, based on hundreds of tummy tucks performed
Our surgeons, Dr. Breslow and Dr. Farkas, have almost 20 years of collective experience in plastic surgery. We have performed hundreds of tummy tuck procedures, exceeding our patients’ expectations. In fact, many of our current patients have been referred to us by former patients who were so pleased with their results that they told their family and friends to come to us, too!
2. Your surgery will take place in a private surgical facility, located in our building
There’s nothing more inconvenient than having your consultation, surgery, and post-op appointments at different places. The Breslow Center’s surgeries are performed in the same building, so there’s no need to go anywhere else. Our Surgical Center fulfills high standards of patient care: it’s Medicare certified, recognized by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), and staffed by licensed and board certified medical professionals at all times.
3. You’ll benefit from our superior suturing techniques, for stronger muscle repair
Abdominal muscle separation, also known as recti diastasis, can cause the stomach to bulge so much that you may look pregnant even when you’re not. This can be corrected by suturing the separated muscles together during a tummy tuck. Unfortunately, inadequate suturing techniques can easily unravel, rendering the surgery pointless and even causing serious complications.
Our surgeons take great care when correcting recti diastasis, applying permanent internal sutures in the abdominal muscle fascia using a crisscross pattern. This tightens the muscles and keeps them firmly in place, so your results won’t come undone later.
4. You’ll receive routine follow-up care so that we can keep a close eye on your recovery
Your recovery is probably the most important part of your tummy tuck. That’s when you need to rest and take care of yourself in order to heal from your surgery and finally see the results you’ve been waiting for. We will give you a complete list of post-op instructions for you to follow closely to help you heal, but we feel that this may not be enough.
Many patients often feel nervous in the days and weeks after their tummy tuck due to the swelling, bruising and discomfort caused by the surgery. Concerns and questions may arise, adding unnecessary stress that could actually delay recovery.
Our primary concern is your safety and satisfaction: we care about you as our patient and want you to feel tended to. This is why we arrange several follow up appointments so that we can closely monitor your recovery and resolve any concerns you may have. Your first follow up is scheduled just a day or two after your surgery. We then routinely follow up with patients in the weeks, months, and even a year after they’ve undergone surgery.
Your first consultation
The first step to a new you is your consultation with one of our talented board certified plastic surgeons. During your consultation, you’ll meet with board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Breslow or Dr. Farkas, who will evaluate your health and take the time to listen to your aesthetic goals. Based on this information, you’ll be offered the treatment plan that best suits your situation, be it a full abdominoplasty or a modified approach, such as a mini tummy tuck, which requires smaller incisions, less extensive anatomic dissection and shorter operating times.
The tummy tuck surgery
You’ll undergo surgery at our fully accredited surgical facility under general anesthesia. Depending on how complex your surgical needs are, the entire procedure may take no longer than three hours. However, our doctors require that patients stay at a nursing facility overnight to ensure their safety and availability in the immediate post-operative period.
To perform full abdominoplasty (the most common type of tummy tuck), liposuction of the abdomen is done first if necessary to remove excess fat. Also known as lipoabdominoplasty, this technique will improve your waistline contour for better results. A horizontal incision extending from one hipbone to the other is then made in the upper section of the pubic region. This allows for excess abdominal skin and fat to be removed. Any existing muscle separation is repaired with permanent internal sutures placed in your abdominal muscle fascia, using a crisscross pattern. This tightens your muscles and gives them greater tone.
The remaining skin is pulled taut and the incision is closed. A second incision is made, concealed within the navel, to adjust the position of your belly button so it is in line with your newly contoured abdomen. Then, this incision is closed and your surgery is finished.
You’ll love your tighter, toned stomach!
Your tummy tuck recovery: quick facts
- Expect to take 7-10 days off from work.
- Most of the swelling and bruising decreases within 4-6 weeks.
- Return to driving after 1 week.
- Return to abdominal exercises after 3 months.
- Scars run from hip to hip, below the underwear, and around the belly button. A small vertical scar may also exist (about 1-2 inches) from the center, where most of the tension is.
- Sutures around belly button are removed at 10-14 days.
- You’ll have two drains, one on either side of your abdomen, for 2-3 weeks. One drain will be removed, then 24 hours later, the second will be removed for your safety.
- Antibiotics are taken until the drains are removed.
- Up to one year to see final results.
Five things to do during your tummy tuck surgery recovery
1. For about 2 weeks, don’t stand straight up. Always flex at the hips. This will reduce tension on your incisions and prevent a widening of the scar. You might experience back pain so be sure to use your quad muscles when flexing.
2. Make sure to wear your abdominal binder (also known as a compression garment) for the recommended period. This is usually 6-8 weeks. The binder will help minimize swelling and bruising so you can recover faster and see your results sooner.
3. Sleep in a beach chair or lounger for two weeks and then on your back for 6 weeks.
4. To minimize scaring follow post op instructions, practice good hygiene and cover your incisions up from the sun.
5. Attend all of your follow up appointments so that your recovery is monitored. Although complications are rare, your appointments will also allow us to see if anything abnormal develops so it can be addressed in a timely fashion. The schedule of your follow up visits is:
- 1-2 days after surgery with a PA or nurse
- 1 week with a surgeon
- 1 month with a surgeon
- 3 months with a surgeon
- 6 months
- One year
Your Flat, Firm Stomach
You can look forward to wearing clothes that show off your flatter stomach, without feeling self-conscious. Imagine wearing a bathing suit without having to worry about how you look, because you’ll know that you look great.
There’s no point pursuing options that won’t give you the flatter stomach you deserve. Call now to book your private medical consultation with Dr. Breslow or Dr. Farkas, or fill out the contact form below.